Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Imagine this…

Being 15 and playing your heart out in Carnegie Hall on a once in a lifetime trip to New York City. I could not fully appreciate it as a 15 year old kid, but I can now. We played 3 songs, each about 8-9 minutes long. They were beautiful and difficult, yet rewarding to learn and conquer. I mean, just imagine practicing and rehearsing in the same rooms as some of the greatest performers of all time. And then actually performing on the very same stage. It is just too much. Honestly.

I really cherish the years I was in the music program. Not only did it teach me about music and develop certain parts of my brain, but it taught me a lot about hard work and dedication. Being part of a huge team and doing what you had to do to make all the parts work as a whole. I paid for every single red cent of every trip I ever took. Do you know how many houses I had to clean and kids I had to babysit to do that? Of course that was in between school, church and after school practices (which equated to at least 7 hours a week, at a minimum.) I learned so much about things a lot of other people don’t get the opportunity to. And I really loved doing it. I still maintain that the best teacher OF ALL TIME was my middle school band teacher, Jeff Adams. I could really go on and on about all of this, but I am going to just go ahead and post the clip of one of our songs at Carnegie Hall.

Elsa’s Procession to the Cathedral. One of the most moving songs you will ever hear. Seriously, I cry every time I hear it. And it is not because I am reliving that wonderful time in my head. The actual music is so moving. My favorite part starts around 5:45. Love.

This was our Assistant Band Director (who also taught my older brother when he was in Junior High, oddly enough.) This happened to be one of her favorite songs to. Can you imagine conducting one of your favorite songs on one of the greatest stages in the world? Overwhelming.

Please listen to the whole thing and enjoy. Keep in mind it is not perfect, these are 14-17 year old KIDS performing, after all.

Elsa’s Procession to the Cathedral–Richard Wagner

2 comments:

Jenny said...

oh my!!! I just went on a serious youtube Choctaw-fest after your video!! So wonderful. I even found one of when the band played at the Saints game my senior year. there was a full face shot of little Sarah Blazer in the giant glasses and the beaded headband on your headdress that I remember spending lots of time on. PS you forgot to mention that Miss Thelie was also the band director who scared me so much that I quit band in 7th grade. How many times have i told the sad story of my 2 notes I could play and my early demise!!! Love it all.

The Traveling Turtle said...

I have spent MANY an hour watching show after show. Did you see the recent winterguard post? Oh how I wish you lived closer so we could take our girls to see bands and guards perform! Celie loves marching bands. :)

You know, I tossed my headdress after 14 years of preserving it. I did, however, keep the beaded headband that you lovingly sewed for me, bead by bead.

I was all set to mention Nancy's scare tactic, but thought I better leave it out. You could have been a fabulous french horn player!

I miss you!